Swapna's Gobi Masala

Posted by Food Auntie On Saturday, February 6, 2010 0 comments
Aaloo Gobi (Cauliflower with potato) by rovingI.

This is a super easy dish that works for vegetarians, vegans and even carnivores that may just need a veggie fix! My mom makes this for me every time I visit home so it just makes me think of the cozy feeling when I get to my parent's house.  My mom has super fresh ground spices and vegetables always on hand- I don't. I modified the following recipe so that I can make it within 10 minutes so it includes pre-made and mixed spices that you can just pick up at many grocery stores (i.e. Whole Foods, Central Market, Indian groceries, etc.).  -Swapna

Ingredients: 
Onion (1/2- 1 whole) diced
Cauliflower (fresh or frozen)- cut
Garam Masala powder (1 teaspoon)
Curry powder (1 teaspoon)
Salt (1/2 teaspoon or to taste)
2-3 tablespoons of oil (olive or canola)
Optional: cilantro to garnish
(can also add peas if you want)

Heat the oil in a pan and add diced onion to fry.  
Throw in garam masala and curry powder and coat fried onions
Add cut cauliflower and mix with with onions and spices until coated and soft
Add water and salt
Let cook for about 5-7 minutes on high heat until water is absorbed
Can cook for slightly longer if you like the curry to be a little firmer and crunchy (I do!).
Optional: can add chopped cilantro and/or peas as well. 
Best served with roti or rice. Enjoy!

0 comments to Swapna's Gobi Masala