Nana's Rice

Posted by Food Auntie On Friday, February 5, 2010 0 comments
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/205/487970741_157732487d.jpg

My father is from Aleppo, a city in northern Syria.  Aleppan tourism has exploded in the past year, and the world is finally discovering the joys of the city's cuisine.  When my mother and father were first married, they lived with my father's extended family in Dubai.  Under my grandmother's tutelage, Mama learned to cook the deliciousness that is Aleppan cuisine.  One of the dishes my grandmother passed on is rice with meat and spices, topped with pine nuts. 

Many countries in the Arab world have their own spin on this dish.  In fact, I've eaten it often at Lebanese aunties' houses.  I've never known the proper name for it, but I assume it's Riz b'Lahm, which just means "Rice with Meat" in Arabic.  In my house, we called it, "Nana's Rice" because my nana made it. 

Nana's Rice is traditionally made with pine nuts, but I prefer slivered almonds.  The Lebanese aunties I know use butter and and sometimes cumin to flavor the rice, and serve it as an accompaniment to roast chicken.  In my opinion the dish is best enjoyed simply - solo, with salt, pepper, and cinnamon. 

Nana's Rice
1 cup rice
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 lb ground beef
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
slivered almonds

Boil the ground meat in its own juices, separating it with a fork.  When the color changes, drain and keep aside.  Pour the chicken broth, rice, and ground beef into a pot.  Add cinnamon, black pepper and salt.  Bring to a boil and then turn down to medium low.  Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.  In the meantime, fry almonds until brown in a small pot of oil.  Drain on paper towel.  When rice is done fluff with fork.  Mound on a serving platter and scatter almonds on top.  Enjoy!

0 comments to Nana's Rice